So why haven't I put on any weight? Well, because I don't actually eat gingerbread. I don't like ginger! But I love the way the house smells when I'm baking it.
I've been playing with a few recipes and having a bit of a tinker to try and make a mild version that I can eat and I've come up with this one.
Mild Gingerbread Recipe
(for those who get their spice elsewhere in life)
- 120g room temperature butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large egg
- 100g golden syrup
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp ginger
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla on high speed
- Beat in egg and golden syrup on medium speed
- Sift in flour and baking powder
- Add in ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg then stir to combine
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour to firm the dough
- Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper and cut however you like
- Bake at 180C for 10 minutes (or longer depending on how thick you like your gingerbread!) until golden brown at the edges
And an edible centrepiece Christmas tree just like the shortbread one:
Do you love or hate gingerbread?