Bless me, Mother Magneto, for I have sinned. Until yesterday I had never made a macaroon or a macaron. In fact, I'd never even tasted one. But, it gets worse, a mortal sin it would seem... I had no freaking clue that they were different things.
Do you know the difference? MasterChef didn't and they got in BIG trouble for it. I do now. You can call me Smuggy McSmuggerson as I sit here in my foodie smugness.
So anyway I was avoiding my own melancholy thoughts yesterday and saw Nicole from Planning With Kids tweet this recipe for coconut macaroons with chocolate and figured it was about time I lost my macaroon virginity. I'm not a major fan of coconut but thought I'd try them out and see. Since I have zero baking ingredients in my house I hauled my butt down to the local to grab some coconut and sugar when I spied something and had a calorie-laden thought.
Hrmmm. I wonder if I could just replace 2 cups of coconut with 2 cups of CRUSHED OREOS!?!?!
Behold, the awesome:
(makes about 18)Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100grams of grated chocolate
- 150grams of crushed Oreos (I used a food processor to get it really fine)
- Beat egg whites until stiff (optional to make stiffy jokes with your significant other)
- Keep beating and slowly add in sugar - beat until glossy and smooth
- Fold in half your chocolate and ALL the crushed Oreos with a metal spoon (this means you can't sample any before you add them, OK!)
- Using a dessert spoon, dollop mounds of mixture on to a lined baking tray
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius (130 fan forced) for 12-15 minutes
- Melt the remaining chocolate (takes about 45 seconds if it's grated)
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cooled macaroons
|Oreo Macaroons. Embrace the Awesomeness|
And no, I've still not tasted a macaron. Aunty Penny says they taste like crunchy air, someone will have to send me some so I can decide for myself *hint hint*