Monday, March 25, 2013

The extremely long DPCON13 wrap post

This is a S1 post
For full details please see my disclosure policy

You know what's wrong with Blogging Conferences? They go way too fast and no sooner have you arrived, hugged those you know and managed to figure out who half the other people are that it's time to say goodbye.

I was only able to go this year thanks to my awesome sponsor McCormick Marinade In A Bag. I'm told I should put here that I have my own marinade bag currently in my tummy, but that just makes me think this baby will come out smelling like Honey & Soy chicken. Though I suppose if it has to come out smelling like food, that's a good one.

Day: 1
Mood: Cranky & tired
Hours sleep: 2.5 in previous 48 hours

I arrived in Sydney early Tuesday morning after having had about half an hour of sleep in 15 second head dropping whip-lash bursts on the plane. Each time accompanied by the most attractive snorty snores as I awoke wondering where the hell I was and panicking that I'd drooled on the man sitting next to me. For the record, I didn't, but it came close a few times. Am awesome travel companion. 

Sydney: your traffic is atrocious. Sydney drivers: you see those lines? Stay within them. It leads to much less honking. Tourist drivers/chauffeur/Jo from Chickens and Bees: kudos for not getting me killed, tis much appreciated. Mwah.

After lunching with Zoey from Goodgoogs and Jo the three of us ventured out for a PR meeting that was "within walking distance". At this point I'd like to point out that "walking distance" varies greatly depending on if you're a chick who runs for kilometres every day or a chick with a flaring chronic pain condition (who also happens to be a bit whingey and hasn't slept). PR meetings make me feel important. I'm not, but hey, it's all about how you feeeeeeeeel, right?

Despite the magnificent company, falling asleep during the car ride home and the subsequent two hour nap were a definite highlight of day one, as was my post-dinner bubble bath that I enjoyed while everyone else who'd already arrived at the hotel was in the bar partying. I really know how to rock a child free holiday, don't I?

I fell asleep around 2:30am after Emma from Emma's Brain crocheted me a penis. As you do.

Day 2:
Mood: Emo & tired
Hours sleep: 4

My head was still firmly in WA time so when the clock read 6am, I was really getting up at 3am. My luggage had somehow made its way out of the cupboard over night and plastered itself to my face, directly beneath my eyes.

We headed on over to Curzon Hall/Cinderella's castle and the hugging began. Soon after, the lack of sleep, the hormones and the whole emo thing caught up. I managed to just hold it together when I saw Tiff from My Three Ring Circus, though I do think I heard her neck crack when we hugged so tight. If I'd had time to compose myself from seeing that gorgeous lady, perhaps I wouldn't have burst in to tears to see Fe from Lumsdaine Photography (who I've spoken about previously here). I'm constantly surprised at how close you can become to people you have only met in person a handful of times. It wasn't even 8:30am and I was crying. I wanted to slap myself.

By mid-morning it all caught up and I found myself completely sobbing in the bathroom on the verge of a full blown panic attack. It's hard to describe exactly what was going on but all I can say is that I'm a girl who really likes her sleep and having had less than seven hours in three days makes for one super emo Glow who is prone to tears. I pulled it together as best as I could for the remainder of the day and soaked in as much information as I could (loved the legal panel!) before making a quick exit.

Day 3:
Mood: Nervous & tired
Hours sleep: 6

It's amazing what six hours of solid sleep will do for a gal. I was still exhausted but the melancholy mood that hung over me the day before had gone and was replaced by oh-fuck-I'm going-to-be-on-stage-does-my-hair-look-OK nerves. On a scale of one to brown trousers, I was right at the top.

When it was time, I made my way to the stage and did what any nervous person wearing a Madonna microphone would do: took selfies with Mrs Woog while we Vogued. Our panel was meant to be a light-hearted look at how to deal with negative comments and trolls and I was super chuffed to be amongst some uber bloggers Corrie from Retro Mummy, the afore mentioned Mrs Woog from Woogsworld and Clint from Reservoir Dad... even if he did take a toilet break half way through.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the word troll is overused. People disagreeing with you aren't trolls, its when they bring in personal attacks, particularly under the veil of anonymity, that it becomes a troll comment. We don't all have to like each other, hold hands and sing kumbayah; hell I have very close friends that I disagree with vehemently on certain subjects and some that shit me to tears every now and then (and I've absolutely no doubt that I do the same to them, probably more frequently).

No sooner had it all begun than it was time to make myself purdy for the gala dinner and an impromptu Harlem Shake (which only gets a little bit of me and none of the people who were beside me).

Day 4:
Mood: Content & tired (sensing a theme yet?)
Sleep: 7 hours

If there is one way to start the day that will ensure a lasting good mood, it's snuggly newborn cuddles. Kristie from Hespera's Garden joined us for breakfast and it was all I could do not to run off with little Caelen. Then the whole "holy shit I'm gonna have one of these soon" hit me and I handed him over to Jess from Tattoo Mummy who immediately burst both her ovaries.

The concierge at The Stamford Grand was so lovely when we were checking out and offered to not only get us a private taxi (hello, Mercedes Benz and fabulous driver) but to have us taken to the Sir Stamford in Circular Quay where they'd look after our bags for the remainder of the day while we shopped. Service above and beyond made Zoey, Jess from Essentially Jess and I very happy chickens as we headed off for the best laksa I've ever had and then quiet chats by the Harbour Bridge over chips.

It was a HUGE week and, surprise, I'm still tired. As awesome as it was, I'm so glad to be home.

Once again a massive thank you to my sponsor McCormick Marinade In A Bag - don't forget the BBQ giveaway complete with the full range of Marinade In A Bag and a Weber BBQ is still running. Enter here or head to Coles to buy your own for $2.99 a packet.

What was your favourite DPCON13 memory?


  1. It was my highlight - hugging you xx

  2. I think I may have latched on to you for most of the conference, but that's mainly because you're awesome and you made me feel comfortable. Plus, we could both say "we had sex!" :)

  3. I had no idea that you were suffering so, you kept up a great show! Your writing is great, totally what's the next sentence gonna say readable.
    I feel honoured to have made your photo montage and am inspired by myself to keep doing tricep dips on the edge of the bath tub.

    I hope you're caught up to Perth time and feeling more human. x

  4. Ha! I love the pics, I didn't get a chance to take many. I'm bummed we didn't have more time for mischief. Xx

  5. That Stamford place, from all accounts I've read, was some customer service paradise! Good plug, will have to look them up next time I'm in Syderney. Lovely to see so many familiar faces altogether. Gorgeous to see your beautiful belly! xxx

  6. You did so well considering you were so tired! I was running on about my 72nd wind by the end of the conference. Saturday I hit the wall big time!!

  7. Trae, you were so well composed that 3rd day, you did not look nervous at all and you did a fab job of reading Emma's post :) Great to see you at the conf xx


Comments are blogger crack.
Comments are taken through Disqus. If you don't see that here then please try another browser or device. Thanks x


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...