I figure that I have a really limited amount of time to set him up with good eating habits so I'm doing everything I can. He doesn't get junk food, he gets very little processed food, instead, I make most of his meals from scratch.
For a snack, I sometimes make pikelets - they're quick, easy, have very little sugar and best of all they don't drop crumbs bloody everywhere! One of the munchkins in my mothers' group has an allergy to dairy, so, in order to make some food that all the kids could enjoy I started experimenting and came up with these babies.
Dairy Free Fruit Pikelets
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup poached and pureed fruit - or, cheat a little bit and put in a pouch of baby food!
- 1/2 cup water
- Sift flour in to a medium sized mixing bowl
- Add egg, fruit puree and water
- Whisk until well combined
- Place a spoonfulls of mixture in to a hot pan (greased lightly if you wish)
- Flip over when small bubbles form or the top loses it's shine
- Cook on the other side until golden brown
I serve these without any toppings because the mild fruit flavour is enough. We've experiemented with a lot of the baby food pouches because I got tired cooking up all the fruit. My favourite would have to be apple, pear and cinnamon!
They store really well in an airtight container for a few days, but I tend to make a huge batch and freeze some for the days I'm not in a cooking mood.