Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The little things

Oh look! It's a non-emo post! Hooray!

I try to see the good in life. I really do.

But when the black cloud of mental illness is hanging low, threatening to not just rain but to unleash a vicious cyclone, it can be hard to see anything but the negative. WAIT! Don't click away, I said this wasn't another fucking emo post and I will keep my word... trust me.

Short of singing "Ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive" and wanting to stab my own eardrums out with a skewer, I try to catch myself in the moment and find something, anything, that is good. Call it mindfulness, call it finding the silver lining, call it clutching at the last fragile straws of sanity. Or call it a telepathic parakeet with a mohawk, I don't care, it's your brain, I won't judge.

Whatever you want to call it, it's about not getting so bogged down in your own head. I fail at it 90% of the time, but the other 10% is great. No, really.

The little things matter sometimes. Some of them will elicit a beaming (gummy) smile, others just a slight turning up of the corners of the mouth. But no matter what, it's catching those moments that make the black seem like it won't last forever.

My most recent little things:
  • Going to the shopping centre and getting a parking spot undercover, and then getting a trolley that has all four wheels willing to travel in the same direction at the same time
  • Finding $20 in a coat pocket from last winter... and the coat still fits
  • Finding paper towels that fit my paper towel holder so that I don't have to rip out the centre and try to stuff it all down again
  • Tricky coming up and giving me a kiss and a hug for no reason
  • Making up a recipe and finding that it just works so well
  • Running in to a friend at the shops I've been thinking about... and actually look nice for once with washed hair and non-stained clothing that I don't feel I have to try and hide behind the fresh produce
  • Checking my bank balance and seeing that there is more money in there than I thought
  • Map Guy bringing home chocolate for me that he was given at a conference, that he has had in his bag all day, not eating, because he thought I'd enjoy it more than him
  • A perfectly timed, witty comeback
  • Getting a funny text from a good friend, late at night, when we're the only two people still awake
  • A simple, cheap and cheerful dinner out at the boat harbour at sunset with my family 

Sometimes, the little things are all you have. So we have to cherish them.

What are your little things?


  1. Score! with the parking space and the trolley with wheels that actually work. That  must have been a good day!  :-)

  2. There are trolley's that have all the wheels that actually work? I get excited if just two of them work.

  3. Too true... I think in actual fact it's the small things that make up this big thing we call life... which is why stopping to appreciate the glow of the small things is of massive importance :)

  4. Looking for the little things, great advice, so easy to say, so hard to do sometimes. Today's little thing - reading "Dear Zoo" to my boy, apparently the snake was sent back because it was "too snakey", well, yes, I guess it would be, being a snake and all - but it made me smile.

  5. Good for you - it does make more difference than we realise. For me taking a moment to notice that the kids are getting on well and have been a pleasure makes me feel so good!

  6. That everyday when I wake up, it's getting lighter. I no longer have to go to work in the dark. Now that little difference makes a big, bloody difference, every. single. day.


Comments are blogger crack.
Comments are taken through Disqus. If you don't see that here then please try another browser or device. Thanks x


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...