How do I love thee, pikelets. Let me count the ways.
You're a super quick snack made from pantry staples, you are the perfect size for kiddies, your recipe is flexible and somewhat healthy depending on what goes in, and you're bloody delicious little pillows of yum.
Almost every time I make them, I change the recipe. Banana, choc chip (or the heaven that is banana and choc chip), orange and poppyseed, chia seed when I'm feeling a bit wanky, dairy free with fruit puree and of course, plain with a shitload of butter. My latest fave is coconut and raspberry because firstly I somehow bought a kilo of coconut last week and have been chucking it in everything since, and secondly, everything tastes amazing with coconut and raspberry in it.
- 1 cup coconut (shredded, desiccated, depending on which texture you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ~ 1 1/2 cups of milk (this varies on how dry the coconut is)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, blitzed (optional - just go for the jam at the end if you want)
- butter for greasing the frypan
- the tinsiest little bit of oil to stop the butter burning
- raspberry jam to serve
- Preheat your frypan. No, really. You don't want the first batch to be rank and half cooked, do you?
- Chuck coconut, flour, baking powder and eggs in to a bowl, gradually add milk until you have the batter at the desired consistency - I like it a little thick to make fluffier pikelets
- Whisk it. Get your arm in to it. Pretend you're a TV chef
- Put the tinsiest bit of oil in the pan and a knob of butter
- Laugh that you used the word knob
- Swirl it around then drop plops of coconutty batter in to the pan
- When the tops dull and a bubble or two form, flip it over - don't leave it until there are squillions of burst bubbles, you want that air inside the pikelet
- Cook on the other side until, well, cooked - ten seconds?
- Flip out those golden orbs of awesome on to a plate and serve with raspberry jam in a vintage thingy you found at an op shop
- Instagram the shit out of it