This mostly vegetable slice recipe is completely my own. I'd seen a few slice recipes around and just thought "nahhhh I can make a better one"... so I did. I raided my fridge and grabbed what was there and shoved it all in and it was AMAZING. I know, sometimes I even impress myself.
I've made it a few times now, and as with all chuck-everything-in recipes, it varies slightly every time... the first time I made it, I put it in the oven to turn around as see my spinach sitting there waiting to be chopped. Oops.
If you're a quantities person, this probably isn't for you, but if you're happy to go by measurements including 'a smidge' and 'a handful', give it a whirl:
Very Vegetable Slice Ala Glow
- Half a butternut pumpkin
- 1 large capsicum
- 1 large zucchini (make sure it's not a cucumber... not that I did that... *ahem*)
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 handful of chopped spinach
- 1 handful of grated cheese
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 rashers of bacon (leave this out and voila it's a vegetarian slice)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- A smidge of olive oil (probably about 2 tablespoons)
Now the thing that makes this slice drool worthy is the first two steps which are a bit time consuming, so if you don't have time, cut corners.
- Cut the pumpkin in to bit sized chunks and roast it - if you roast big bits and cut them after cooking they fall apart a bit when you stir. Still tastes the same but doesn't look as pretty!
- Grill capsicum til the skin blackens, set aside for 10 minutes covered with baking paper, peel off skin then chop
- Fry up your roughly chopped onion, bacon and mushrooms. Add in your spinach to wilt it a bit if you like (or not, whatever)
- Grate your
cucumberzucchini and squeeze out the excess moisture (that bit is really important or you'll have soggy slice
- Once all your veggies have cooled a bit, chuck them all in together, add the cheese and mix it up a bit so it's nice and colourful
|Someone's been playing with Instagram|
- Add the flour and stir through
- Combine your eggs and oil in a glass and break them up with a fork then pour them over the veggies and stir until they're just combined
- Pop it all in to a lined 18x28cm pan (like a brownie pan)
- Shove it in the oven at 180C (160C fan forced) for 35-40 minutes or until
smoke comes outit browns up on top
I'll have to check with the Fussy Eater's Mum, but I'm pretty sure this counts as about a billion serves of veggies.
It's really nice straight out of the oven but even tastes fab cold so you can cook it ahead of time and pop it in the fridge.
Wow, that was one of those times when you hear yourself speak and it's scary... did I just say I enjoyed making and eating a vegetable slice? Must be gettin' old.
If you have a go at this, let me know how it goes. Enjoy.